The guilty wet face of a toilet drinking dog
Degas has been my dog for 10+ years now. As a puppy he never came when called and was always rebellious. We found out later that he was born deaf but I think thats only the half of his personality. I took him to puppy training class to teach him signs so we could communicate commands. He is smart enough to know when I give a command to look away as if he didnt see it and hold that position in the opposite direction. Every time I let him in the house he runs straight for a toilet to drink out of. Even though he has a 5 gallon bucket of clean water and the toilet seat is down (he knows how to lift it). I tell this story as a parallel to Gods relationship with us. Mia was staying at my parents house and they could hear Degas barking at something random from his pen. Mom & Dad started talking about how worthless he was (in a joking manner). They talked about his wild side when dad takes him for walks and he runs in the opposite direction and ignores signals, how he doesnt have much to offer and takes what he wants (food, barbies feet, toilet water), and never shows gratefulness. Mia's response to them was "but I still love him". Mom was brought to tears realizing that is the way God could look at us. We are rebellious, ignore God's signals, take the things God didnt provide (the toilet water) when he provides better (clean fresh water). And yet in our stupidity God says "I love you". What an amazing Father, that only a parent to a rebellious child, can appreciate.

No comments:
Post a Comment